Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Why I have a love hate relationship with technology.

I have a very love hate relationship with technology. It's never been just one or the other it has been both at the same time since I was 5 and playing my favorite scoobydoo computer game realized there was bonus material on another disc and accidentally deleted an important file which broke my dad's laptop. (He was soooo mad at me then but now he laughs about it)

So as I grew technology grew with me (perks of being a millennial) and my dysfunctional relationship with it aged. In High School I started using animation software/ video editing software. I can't tell you the amount of times I wanted to take a sledge hammer to the old adobe premiere in 2007. But I learned AVID from my boss Nick and to this day that is my go to software for editing. It's sooo great and I have no problems with it. I do know how to edit on FCP 7 which is ok, had some troubles. And don't get me started on how much I hate FCP 10. I worked on it a couple times, I was unable to save it to my drive, it wouldn't get the footage off of the tape and kept freezing and lagging and just blech. Then of course I learned Adobe Illustrator, PhotoShop, AfterEffects, the new Premiere (much better), InDesign, and Dreamweaver; and Maya animation software. Oh and Dragon Frame.

So I do love technology. I know a lot about it. And I couldn't live without it. (sad but true)

But I hate it soo much at the same time.
Especially cell phones. It's like you get a new one, and it's outdated in like a week. And if you don't get the latest one your cell phone will get buggy. Then there is Iphone that has version after version after version, which they mainly focus on the look of the phone other than function, and currently I'm mad at the Droid brand because my phone isn't even like 2 years old and it's breaking down, and I've gotten 3 replacements that all start failing again, but because Verizon has a policy that I need to return it 5 times before I get to choose a new phone...I think personally that's a little excessive. Because if I keep coming in with my phone not working giving me the same model isn't going to help much. Oh well 3 months till I can get a new one. Which phones are good? comment below! :)

Tablets give me migraines, hard drives get corrupted randomly, programs freeze and then somehow forgot that you saved and so when you open it it's back to square one. And then there is that freaking devilish rainbow spinning wheel of pure evil, telling you that your program is frozen. Yes mac it looks pretty but it doesn't make me any less angry that program is frozen.

Also I am pretty sure the machines are going to take over. Like seriously they are. It's like no one is getting the warnings from I-Robot and that one episode of Dr.Who where the cars with certain technology start attacking, which is the latest war plan from the sentarons. Oooh such a great episode! I miss Martha :( but anyway technology is in everything. And they are trying to make a sentient robot like the one from I-robot.....So my advice befriend your tech objects now so that when the revolution happens you at least can be considered an ally, or you know be enslaved instead of killed.

But all kidding aside, technology is taking over. Like when I go out somewhere and go with people we are all on our cellphones. People would rather text than call. And it's like we are all loosing our social skills. For example (I admit I'm guilty of this) when you see someone you don't want to talk to, don't know how to talk to, or just don't want human interaction you instantly open your phone and start pressing buttons just to avoid it.

So the reason I am posting this is because this semester I had to create my own website. Here it is if you want to take a look: http://pleaseworkrhead.x10host.com/pleasepleaseworkrhead/index.html 

Now you probably are thinking: why are there so many please works in that url? Well that was because I have spent the last week trying to upload it to a server that didn't work, tried 4 other sites before I found a reliable one, and even the reliable one I had some issues with. I was getting tired of it not working so I decided to maybe be nice and ask please to the url to work. (Actually I was just really really frustrated.) So I felt myswell rant about it.

Though I have loved this course. Like a lot. I now know html. It's pretty awesome what a few lines of code can do. For example:





Why are unicorns so amazing?




Space Ranger Enlistment




All that was done with a few lines of code. And to show I actually did it here are the lines of code:<form action="http://www.example.com/comments.php">
Why are unicorns so amazing?<br />
<textarea cols="20" name="comments" rows="4">Enter your comments here...</textarea>
</form>
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<fieldset>
<legend>Space Ranger Enlistment</legend>
<label>Alien Race:<br />
<input name="alien race" type="text" /></label><br />
<label>Age:<br />
<input name="age" type="text" /></label><br />
<label>Your desired cool space ranger name:<br />
<input name="your desired cool space ranger name" type="text" /></label>
<br />
<label><br /></label>
</fieldset>

Really take this course it's awesome.

Well I hope everyone has a good day and remember be nice to the machines, they might revolt at any minute :P

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment