Friday, December 13, 2013

The Importance of Random Acts of Kindness and Paying it Forward.

In my opinion the most important/ rewarding thing you can do in your lifetime is always doing random acts of kindness and remembering to pay it forward. Some can call this creating good karma.

What brings this topic on you might ask. Well a few days ago I was at the Starbucks at the SIU student center and ordered my go to winter drink (grande gingerbread latte no molasses drizzle...ah soo good) when I realized I had forgotten my debit card and credit card in my room. As I struggled to find spare change the barista just told me she would pay for it and congratulated me on graduating. I am so thankful for her kindness that now that I have money I am going to go there and give her a very large tip because that was the nicest thing a barista has ever done for me.

Also that Starbucks has shown me kindness before. Once I went to order something and the person behind me paid for it just randomly. She told me that a few days ago she had someone pay for her order and she was paying it forward. The next day I paid for a very stressed out grad student's order who really looked like he could use some free coffee.

I believe it is always important to do random acts of kindness and pay good deeds forward because to be honest our world is in a horrible place right now and we need these acts of kindness so that the human race can become nicer, more neighborly like, and our faith in humanity needs to be restored. The good in humanity is out there, we just need to show it more.

A random act of kindness could be anything from paying for someone's coffee, to shoveling a neighbor's driveway, to making someone in need a meal, really it can be anything you want it to be. And if you are given a random act of kindness always treasure it in your heart and keep it alive in your mind. And remember to pay it forward. It doesn't have to be the same act afforded to you, you just have to do something good for a fellow person/animal or both.

A good movie to reference is Pay it Forward. You will cry a lot but it is definitely one of the best movies I have ever seen in my life. It is about a boy who comes up with the pay it forward model saying that if one person throughout their lifetime does three major good deeds, and I am talking big time good deeds, then if those three people also do 3 major good deeds throughout their lives. Then someday the world could become a nicer, kinder, more loving and compassionate world.

So do a good deed no matter how small, someone will appreciate it. Help make the world a better place to live in. And again always pay it forward :)

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment